Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Tale of Two Brothers

There once were two brothers. The elder brother was known to be extremely wise and the younger one was not so wise. Unfortunately many of the attributes attached to men were distributed in a similar manner between the two. The elder brother was thought to be much better looking, a stronger man, more admired by the ladies, and highly though of by the town's people for his calm pleasant demeanor. The younger brother had but one eye, was a weak man, largely passed over by women, and ignored by others in town because he was easily upset. However, both were kind to others and were devoted to each other. They lived together in a extremely large home. One thing they loved to do was to debate philosophy and similar subjects with others. Therefore, they had a standing offer for strangers and travelers. Anyone wishing to stay the night could, if they bested one of the brothers in debate. Now, often travelers engaged the elder brother in these debates and, when they did, they lost every time. He was a gifted debater and far more intelligent than most.

One day a traveler was passing through and stopped to visit with the brothers. The elder one was tired that day and told his brother, "You go and attend to our guest. You can handle the argument tonight. Just do it silently and you'll win."

After awhile, the visitor sought out the older brother, thanking him for the hospitality and the discussion, and informing him that he would be on his way. The brother asked, "Are you not staying? "

"No. When I sat down with your brother, I had noticed he did not speak, so I endeavored to accommodate him. Therefore, I raised a single finger to him, indicating I was one with him. He responded with two fingers, obviously pointing out my error and showing that we were two distinctly separate beings. I countered by using three fingers, to demonstrated that we were in communication, your two brothers and I. He again bested me by showing me a closed hand, illustrating the flaw in my argument, and making me understand that we are all nothing and everything at once. He is a brilliant man and I am withdrawing. Thank you for the spirited evening."

Shortly after he had exited, the younger brother ran into the room, asking his older brother where the guest had gone. His brother explained that he had left and asking why he wanted to know. The younger one explained, "That insulting man came into my room and before I could even greet him, he gave me the finger. Either that or he was pointing out I have but one eye. I was so upset that before I could even think about it, I returned the gesture with a two-finger gesture of my own, letting him know I would poke his two eyes out. Obviously this upset him and he became childish, this time further making fun of me and my disability by indicating that between us we had three eyes, his two good ones and my one weak eye. At that point, I was going to beat him in the ground, so I double up my fist and prepared to hit him, but he got up and left before I could do so. I have been looking everywhere for him since."

No comments: