Friday, February 20, 2009

Math problem

Bill came to the university to study mathematics. He was a highly gifted student and had been recruited by the school. He was lavished with many scholarships and had turned away other schools when he choose to come to this one. He choose wisely. The mathematics program here was among the best in the world and Professor Wong was considered the most gifted professor in higher mathematics in the entire country. Bill had been assured he would personally be working with Professor Wong.

Eventually it came to be. Bill easily handled the lower level courses and was assigned coursework with the professor. Professor Wong recognized that Bill was more highly talented in the mathematical field than anyone he had seen in a very long time. Bill was summoned to his office one day.

"Bill, I have a problem I would like you to work on. This is not an ordinary problem. It will take all your concentration and skill. You must set aside all else and work only on this until you have solved it."

Bill replied, "I understand." With that he left and began to contemplate the complex problem before him. Days passed and the days became weeks, and they turned into months. Three long years drifted by. One day, Bill returned to Professor Wong. He was no longer the arrogant cocky young man. He looked beaten. He told the professor, "I have worked and worked on this problem. I have contemplated it day and night and I cannot solve it. I am afraid I must give up."

"I beg of you, do not surrender so easily. I know I have chosen the right person to perform this task. I want you to return to you room and contemplate this further. Please give it another three months and then return. Let us see what you can accomplish in that time."

Three months later, Bill returned, thinner, weaker, but still without having accomplished that which he had set out to do. The problem plagued him now. It haunted his dreams and dominated his days. He wanted to be free of it. He told the professor, "Please release me. I can do no more. I am not the man for this task. The problem is greater than I and I need to be free of it."

Again the professor convinced Bill to give it more time. This time, Bill agreed to working three extra weeks on the problem, convinced by Professor Wong that he was still the best student for the job. Three weeks later, Bill still was no closer to completing his mission than he had been at any other point. Now he begged Professor Wong, "Let me go. I want to go. If I remain, surely I will kill myself."

As before, after talking gently to Bill, Professor Wong arranged for him to study the problem for three more days, agreeing that if, after three days, if Bill still could not reach a solution, he could be set free and leave for good.

Each morning Bill arose and came into the study room to contemplate the problem again, as he had been doing for all these days, weeks, months, and years. He was near the end of his limits. On the second day, as Professor Wong sat and watch Bill in his contemplation, something happened. A strange look came over Bill as his mind suddenly gave way. All the struggle, conflict, and strife washed away and he just sat there, calm at last, with a vacant stare.

The professor rose and walked toward the door. As he reached it, he opened the door to leave, and he said, over his shoulder, "You're welcome."

No comments: