Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Swim

Two children grow up together. Eventually there comes a time when they are taken to a teacher to be taught to swim. One boy quickly learns to trust in the water and his ability to float, to swim and he does well in his lessons and becomes a remarkably good swimmer. The other boy is convinced, from the beginning, that he will drown. He is hesitant and afraid each time he approaches the water. He doubts his skills and his ability to conquer the water. He knows, in his mind, that man is not meant to swim. He never becomes comfortable in the water and is always a poor swimmer.

We read of men who have climbed tall mountains and say, I could not do that. I do not trust myself on a mountain. We listen to news of men in space and think, I would never go there. I doubt my ability to conquer my fears. The list of our doubts, our fears, our lack of trust mounts through our life, and the things we fail to do, fail to accomplish, grows with them.

Trust yourself and swim.

No comments: