There was a cook who liked to have everyone call him Chew. He met a man called Longtime. He became impressed with the knowledge Longtime imparted to his students as a teacher, so he asked him if he could study with him and learn from him. Longtime told him he would be happy to teach him would he knew if only Chew would instruct him how to cook. They quickly reached agreement and began their mutual studies.
Many months passed. Chew provided Longtime with lessons in the kitchen and Longtime learned easily how to prepare dishes in various styles. However, Chew did not feel he was receiving the same level of instruction in return. One day he approached Longtime with his concerns. He told him straight out he felt he was not receiving any instruction at all. Longtime seemed surprised by this. He replied, "I have been teaching you you ever since you arrived. Whenever you approach me, I bow to you. When I sit down, I allow you to either stand or sit at my right hand. I have always allowed you to be the one to serve me my tea each day."
Chew looked at him as if he were crazy. "Is this it?"
Longtime said, "When you see, you really see. If you have to think, then it has escaped you."
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment