Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Local Spirit

A great lecturer was traveling, as he sometimes did to unwind and relax. When he did travel, he liked to do so without notice, so that he would not be bothered and there would not be any fanfare, as there was in his daily work life.

While on a particular trip, he came to a small village, which was not on any maps. The village was very much prepared for his arrival, with a special room set aside and prepared just for him, a formal dinner arranged in advance, with all the important people of the village invited, and even a welcoming committee waiting for him when he arrived.

The lecturer was taken back by all of this. When approached by the village's spokesperson, he asked, "How did you know I was coming? I try to keep my plans private. I certainly did not request any such doings, nor did I expect them."

The villager responded, "I was approached by a local spirit who informed me of your coming. So I spoke to my fellow villagers and we prepared this welcome, as the spirit directed us to do."

"Obviously I have displeased your spirit or he would not have pulled such a stunt on me or upon you." The lecturer was heard to remark as he looked around at all the people gathered.

"You are a famous lecturer. Why do you believe you came to the attention of our village's spirit?"

"I need to extend a breakfast invitation to your spirit. I need to practice much harder."

No comments: