He was a finish carpenter and a cabinet maker. He was the very best at what he did. Every cut, every miter, every spindle was done with affection and it showed in his work. Yet he had no vanity. He just liked what he did. It was everyone else that saw the superiority of his work.
He had two young apprentices. He sought to teach them about his trade. Tim was, well, Tim was timid. He was shy and quiet and tried to hang back away from others. He did not speak unless he absolutely had to and he asked few questions. However, he never took his eyes off the master carpenter. He watched everything he did and he listened to every word he said. He absorbed his lessons like a sponge.
Bob was the other apprentice. He was nothing like Tim. Bob was the bold one. He was confident, full of himself and let everyone know he was on top of his game, all the time. He always caught onto things easily and seemed to be one step ahead of everyone, all his life. His work was excellent and he knew it. In contrast to Tim, he spoke freely and openly to the master, often interrupting the lessons, as he knew what was being taught even before the complete lesson was finished for him.
Tim worked each day at the side of the master carpenter, doing his tasks. He thought about the joy of the wood, the pleasure of the world around him, and how much he enjoyed being with this man who knew so much about a subject that thrilled him so completely. He could imagine no greater life.
Bob chaffed at the bit. He was ready to strike out on his own. He just needed the master carpenter to sign off on his apprenticeship and he would be gone. This was boring. Day in and day out, it was the same thing; he could be doing so much more and earning a lot more money. All he could think about was getting out of this arrangement and moving on with his own life.
One day the master called his two apprentices to him. He asked them both the same question. "Where do you think you are right now on your path?"
Bob, naturally, responded first. "I am an accomplished cabinet maker. People seek me out for their needs because they desire the beauty and quality that arises from my creations. I am ready to move on."
Tim sat for awhile without saying anything, but finally he spoke quietly. "I came to you not truly knowing what it was I wanted or needed. I found for myself a path to walk upon. I discovered, while I walked that path, that the journey had no end. I have found contentment." With those remarks, Tim smiled and fell silent once again.
The master looked at both of the young men for a moment and then said to them, "I allowed the two of you to work along side of me in the hopes that I could pass some of what I have gained over the years on to each of you. In that regard, I have been only partially successful. What I tried to impart upon you was not a skill. That was already developing within you when you came upon me. One of you has wasted his time being here as he has learned nothing that can be useful in life. The other has surpassed his teacher and I bow to him and ask that I might remain with him so I may now learn from him."
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment