Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Understanding

I once ran into a young man I named Curious. I told him that every time I saw him someone asked him a question and, instead of giving an single direct answer, he gave ten responses to the question. I said, "Isn't this so?"

He turned his head from me and mumbled, "No, I don't think so." I laughed at this and he walked away.

Soon after, due to this he moved away and became a sheep farmer. About four years later, I was traveling and I came to the farm I heard he had moved to, so I stopped to see him. I walked out into the field and, instead of finding him watching the flock, I observed him sitting under a tree, meditating.

I walked up behind him and cracked him in between the shoulders with a stick. He looked over his shoulder at me, immediately recognizing me. I asked him, "Are you still talking too much, giving too many answers to questions being asked you? Well, is that still so?"

"I no longer have so many words to use, nor do I have the need to answer your question."

I smiled, for now he understood.

No comments: