An elderly aunt came to visit. As she did not travel much any more, it was a joy to the relatives that she had come to see them. Many came from varying distances just for the opportunity to converse with her. A large re union and party was planned for the weekend so that everyone would have a chance to see one another and to visit with the elderly aunt. The day of the party, the aunt announced that she was not feeling well and that she would not attend the party. She insisted the family and all the relatives go ahead with their plans without her. She would sit by the window in the rocker and watch the park where the party was going on.
During the afternoon, one of her great-grand-nephews entered the house and sought her out. He was only nine years old and did not understand why she nice elderly lady wanted to stay inside when everyone else was in the park having a good time. He walked over to her chair and touched her arm. She looked down at him and smiled at him. “Whatever can I do for you, sweetheart?”
“Why don’t you want to come to the party? All my brothers and sisters, and my cousins, and my parents, and my aunts and uncles are there. Even my grandparents came. It is suppose to be for a really nice old lady, but I don’t know her name.”
His aunt smiled at him again and told him, “I am the nice old lady, but I am very, very tired. However, let me tell you a secret of mine. I learned a long time ago that I could sit in a quiet place and think about people I love or places I like and, just like magic, I’m there and I’m with those people. And today is one of those days. So, even though I am very tired and I cannot go out there with all those people, I am really with them right now and I am having a great time, probably one of best I’ve ever had.”
Her young nephew reached up and gave her a hug and told her to have a good time and to enjoy the party. He then walked out of the room, smiling, just like his great-grand-aunt. As he left, she said aloud to herself, “And you just made it better.”
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment