The other day, our two friends were together, when the one who lived in the cave announced to the one who was visiting that, as they were sitting upon the edge of a sheer cliff, with no path, no climbing equipment, no food sources, and having no means to either have gained entry to the cave, the cliff, or continued nourishment, therefore, they did not exist.
Having realized the truth of the statement the visitor quit speaking to the cave dweller, as he realized he did not exist. The cave dweller, having nothing more to add, knowing he too was non-existent, arose and returned to the cave. Silence reigned over the cliff.
Morning arose and the cave dweller with it. His routine was unbroken and he came to the cliff’s edge once again to receive the dawn. The visitor still sat as he was, on the edge staring off into the skies. The sun rose slowly across the forest below, dazzling the two men with the beauty. It rose higher until it fill the cliff face and the cave with light.
Reaching this juncture, the dweller stood and returned to his daily routine. The visitor continued to sit. The day progressed like any other and dusk soon came. The dweller now returned to the edge to join his comrade. The shadows were spreading across the fields and trees below, enveloping all in darkness. As it grew dark, the cave dweller thought about his non-existence.
How is it, if I do not exist, I feel the sun’s rays? Why do I think and perform tasks? Why did I form rational thought and give a view to my friend here?
At that moment the visitor disappear by tumbling over the side of the cliff, free-falling down the side of the cliff, to his sure death. Why do I feel nothing about my friend’s actions? And why do I now want to return to the cave because it is dark?
The next morning, the cave dweller rose from his bed and left the cave to view the rising sun. Exiting the cave, he found the visitor once more on the edge of the cliff, awaiting him. When he sat down, the visitor said, “You know, you were wrong about that non-existent thing. We do exist. I tested your theory and, though I don’t recommend the method, the results were conclusive. You’re wrong.”
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment